The REACH Program
(Rural Educational Approach to Community Health)
Greensboro AHEC will be seeking candidates for the R.E.A.C.H Program, a summer rural health program in Asheboro, North Carolina. Candidates must currently attend a North Carolina school and have successfully completed their first year by May 2018. If interested in applying for the Summer 2020 program, complete the REACH Program Application form. The deadline for applications is Friday, May 1, 2020.
The R.E.A.C.H Summer Program is an externship for first & second year Medical, Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner students. It exposes students to rural community medicine through several different learning experiences. The program requires a two week and one day commitment from each student. Students will receive a $1000 stipend, free housing and some meals will be provided. Students are required to provide their own transportation.
Through the R.E.A.C.H Summer Program students will:
- Shadow and network with rural health professionals
- Experience the richness of community and family
- Gain knowledge from interdisciplinary training
- Develop an appreciation of the history and culture found in a rural community
Students will be exposed to
- Public Health
- Case Management
- Family Healthcare
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Chamber of Commerce
- Community & Cultural Experiences
- Out Reach and Extension Program
North Carolina Medical Schools
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Wake Forest School of Medicine
- Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University
North Carolina Physician Assistant Programs
- University of North Carolina PA Program
- Wake Forest University PA Program
- Elon University PA Program
- High Point University PA Program
- Campbell University PA Program
North Carolina Nurse Practitioner Programs
- East Carolina University Nurse Practitioner Program
- University of North Carolina - Charlotte Nurse Practitioner Program
- University of North Carolina - Greensboro Nurse Practitioner Program
- University of North Carolina -Wilmington Nurse Practitioner Program
- Wake Forest University Nurse Practitioner Program
- Western Carolina University Nurse Practitioner Program
- Winston Salem State University Nurse Practitioner Program
This year’s participant Adrienne White, is a Nurse Practitioner student from UNC Wilmington. Adrienne currently works part-times as a nurse and has a passion for serving those in need. Her focus as a Nurse Practitioner would be on health literacy, preventative care and disease management.
“Small town. Country Living. Rural communities can be found all across North Carolina. It is important that healthcare providers are aware of, understand and are capable of meeting the needs of this patient population. The R.E.A.C.H program opens the doors to fulfilling this need.”
For more information contact, Tonya Baldwin, MA, ORPCE Coordinator by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 336-832-8566.
Video below: Omar Acosta, UNCSOM first year medical student, discusses his participation in the 2016 R.E.A.C.H. program.