REACH Application Page
Rural Educational Approach to Community Health
The R.E.A.C.H program is a rural health residential summer program that targets 1st & 2nd year Medical students and Physician Assistant students attending a North Carolina School. All medical students must have successfully completed their first year of medical school by May, 2019.
The summer program is an externship that exposes students to rural community medicine through several different learning experiences. The program requires a two week and one day commitment from each student. Students will receive a $1000 stipend, free housing and some meals will be provided. Students are required to provide their own transportation. Additionally, students will keep a daily journal and write a 5-8 page reflective paper about their experience upon completion of the program. Through the R.E.A.C.H summer program students will; shadow and network with rural health professionals, experience the richness of community and family, gain knowledge from interdisciplinary training and develop an appreciation for its history and culture. For more information contact, Tonya Baldwin, MA, ORPCE Coordinator 336-832-8566.
- Promote learning by actively participating with community partners
- Opportunity to work in an environment that supports different health professionals working together
- Encourage awareness of different cultures
- Reflect on future goals as a healthcare provider and the potential for employment in a rural community
Students will be exposed to
- Public Health
- Case Management
- Family Healthcare
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Chamber of Commerce
- Community & Cultural Experiences
- Out Reach and Extension Program
North Carolina Medical Schools
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Wake Forest School of Medicine
- Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University
North Carolina Physician Assistant Programs
- University of North Carolina PA Program
- Wake Forest University PA Program
- Elon University PA Program
- High Point University PA Program
- Campbell University PA Program
North Carolina Nurse Practitioner Programs
- East Carolina University Nurse Practitioner Program
- University of North Carolina - Charlotte Nurse Practitioner Program
- University of North Carolina - Greensboro Nurse Practitioner Program
- University of North Carolina -Wilmington Nurse Practitioner Program
- Wake Forest University Nurse Practitioner Program
- Western Carolina University Nurse Practitioner Program
- Winston Salem State University Nurse Practitioner Program
Applications are accepted January 2 – May 1, 2019.
How to Apply/Criteria for Selection
Applicants must be a 1st or 2nd year medical student or a Physician Assistant student with an interest in rural health and attend a North Carolina Medical School. Applicants must be prepared to commit to spending two weeks in the central region of North Carolina (Asheboro). The program dates are June 10 - June 21 with a one day return on June 28 for a poster presentation.
Applicants need to complete the application below, submit an official transcript, two letters of recommendation and write a one page essay (in the form below). The deadline for completed applications is May 1. All submitted applications must be postmarked by May 1, 2019, to be considered.
Applications will be reviewed and five finalists will be contacted for phone interviews. Two students will be selected to participate in the R.E.A.C.H program. Acceptance letters will be mailed to students by May 16.
Two students will be selected for the program.
Please click the "Submit" button below after completing the form and mail your two letters of recommendation to:
Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital
Attn. Tonya Baldwin (Greensboro AHEC)
1200 N. Elm Street
Greensboro, NC 27401